Overseas Support Center
In 2017, the JWRF decided to change its internal organizational structure to strengthen its activities for solving problems of waste management and 3R in developing countries, and thus created "The Support Center for Overseas Waste Management Business" (Overseas Support Center) specifically working for such the challenges.
Activities of Overseas Support Center include:
- Mobilizing waste management and 3R technologies of private companies to Asia and other developing countries,
- Organizing seminars in and outside Japan, and
- Capacity development and other activities for developing countries.
Mobilization of Japan's Waste Management and 3R Technologies
On behalf of Japan's Ministry of the Environment, Overseas Support Center evaluates and selects project proposals by private business, and provides financial assistance for FS studies selected.
- Projects in FY2018
- Projects in FY2019
- Projects in FY2020
- Projects in FY2021(Project No.1/Project No.2/Project No.3)
- Projects in FY2022(Project No.1/Project No.2/Project No.3)
In addition, Overseas Support Center provides services, which are commissioned by the Ministry of the Environment, Japan, to support the overseas expansion of Japanese Waste Management and Recycling Industries.
- Projects in FY 2021（Project No.1/Project No.2/Project No.3/Project No.4/Project No.5)
- Projects in FY 2022（Project No.1/Project No.2/Project No.3/Project No.4/Project No.5)
Japan's local governments and/or their special district authorities have played important roles in the course of mobilizing Japan's waste management and 3R technologies to developing countries. They will be an integral part for further mobilization of the technologies. Thus, a new project commissioned by the Ministry of the Environment started in 2019 to develop a policy package aiming at supporting their activities and strengthening the network among local governments and special district authorities concerned. A new web-site (Japanese language and the net-member bodies only), JWIC-NET is being developed.
Waste Management and 3R Seminar
Since 2018, Overseas Support Center has organized a series of seminars to update the member companies on the topics relating to waste management and 3R in and outside Japan.
The major topics of seminars in Japan include:
- Recent development of financing facilities for sustainable growth by Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC),
- Current situations of waste management and 3R in developing countries and policy development of Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA),
- Global waste plastic problems: Challenges and opportunities, and
- Waste management and 3R problems and policy development in developing countries.
- European Green Deal and the latest movement of their Circular Economy (JETRO).
Participation in G to G and other events
- Overseas Support Center supported the Business Matching between Japanese and Vietnamese Business people during the Japan-Vietnam Environment Solutions Week held in January 2019.
- In January 2020, Overseas Support Center jointly organized a seminar with SWAT (Solid Waste Management Association; a non-profit organization of Thailand) in Bangkok, Thailand during the Japan-Thailand Environmental Solutions Week. （Details）
- SWAPP (Solid Waste Management Association of the Philippines) organized its annual meeting in November,2020. Upon the request of the SWAPP, Mr. Kikuchi of Overseas Support Center made a presentation titled "Osaka Blue Ocean Vision and Japan's Actions against Marine Plastic Litter" at the meeting.
- The Center introduced the member companies of two training programs: 1) Enhancement of Solid Waste Management Capacity for the Introduction of Waste-to-Energy and 2) Development of Recycling Policy, implemented by Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) for government officials of several countries worldwide. The member companies participated in the online presentations of their country reports.