Overseas Support Center
In 2017, the JWRF decided to change its internal organizational structure to strengthen its activities for solving problems of waste management and 3R in developing countries, and thus created "The Support Center for Overseas Waste Management Business" (the Center) specifically working for such the challenges.
Activities of the Center include:
- Mobilizing waste management and 3R technologies of private companies to Asia and other developing countries,
- Organizing seminars in and outside Japan, and
- Capacity development and other activities for developing countries.
Mobilization of Japan's Waste Management and 3R Technologies
On behalf of Japan's Ministry of the Environment, the Center evaluates and selects project proposals by private business, and provides financial assistance for FS studies selected.
Japan's local governments and/or their special district authorities have played important roles in the course of mobilizing Japan's waste management and 3R technologies to developing countries. Thus, the Center started an initiative to facilitate information exchange among several local governments and the special district authority.
Waste Management and 3R Seminar
Since 2018, the Center has organized a series of seminars to update the member companies on the topics relating to waste management and 3R in and outside Japan.
The major topics of seminars in Japan include:
- Recent development of financing facilities for sustainable growth by Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC),
- Current situations of waste management and 3R in developing countries and policy development of Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA),
- Global waste plastic problems: Challenges and opportunities, and
- Waste management and 3R problems and policy development in developing countries.
Participation in G to G and other events
- The Center supported the Business Matching between Japanese and Vietnamese Business people during the Japan-Vietnam Environment Solutions Week held in January 2019.
- In January 2020, the Center jointly organized a seminar with SWAT (Solid Waste Management Association; a non-profit organization of Thailand) in Bangkok, Thailand during the Japan-Thailand Environmental Solutions Week. （Details）
- SWAPP (Solid Waste Management Association of the Philippines) organized its annual meeting in November,2020. Upon the request of the SWAPP, Mr. Kikuchi of the Center made a presentation titled "Osaka Blue Ocean Vision and Japan's Actions against Marine Plastic Litter" at the meeting.